View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 13:49   #55
Leon Kelly

Re: Time to Go Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
Why 11pm? The last 4 glassing incidents in Hyndburn happened at around 8.30pm.

Is a can not as dangerous as a bottle? Or at least could be used as very deadly weapon.

The "plastic" bottles & glasses would add around £3500 per year to myself. You say to pass the additional cost on to the customers. I'm sure that they would all welcome that kind of increase, especially in these hard times.

The main reason that the Nags Head has moved to these items, is that, the last 4 glassing incidents in Hyndburn happened in their pub 3 weeks ago.

The proposal is based on a trial scheme to be held in Accrington town centre venues, the idea was to trial this after the hours of eleven at first not to disrupt the venues on the outskirts of towns were incidents are few and far between, having 400 people converse across 9 town centre venues increases the possibility of an attack than a pub that maybe on the outskirts with 100 people plus in them, the answer over Alu cans is that most venues sell red stripe and it's served on a can yes a can could be used as a weapon but you could also say being poked in the eye with a straw or plastic bottle could be dangerous, the topic is started that you are at far greater risk of facial injuries and death if your hit in a main artery in the neck on a glassing incident.

Re the cost I think that an extra 20p on a bottle is not going to break the bank when by next year the minimum price per unit of alcohol is going to be 50p and that will make the pub and club trade far more cheaper as it only relates to supermarkets not our trade, and the end of the day you say it will cost you 3500 per year extra I have saved 2000 on my insurance being plastic and also as a venue operator we have our right to duty if care for all our patrons and no one wants a front page headline that an individual was attacked with a glass bottle in the town as it makes front page news and can tarnish a business reputation for a single incident.

My point is this look at page 3 of the observer this week there are four incidents in venues in the area hardly telling the masses that Hynburn is safe, the argument could be every town has that , which is true but isn't it time now to get hold of this now before someone in a town centre is seriously hurt then we have the same people that argue against plastic suddenly going something should of been done.

I'm not looking for a knighthood or on a witch hunt, I'm saying the probability of an incident from a fatal nature grows ever closer with today's societys mixed with drink and drugs and people do see the red mist and make that decision that can lose people two lives their own and their victims.

If you asked Adam rogers family would they of wanted the proceedures in place in educating venues and campaigning for safer nights out and that to be in place before their sons death and maybe things would have turned out differently I'm not saying that there was a clear cut chance what happened wouldn't of happened but if the measures are in place then the risk is reduced.
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote