View Single Post
Old 24-09-2012, 13:47   #14
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

Well I for one will be watching these programmes (there are two, one Wed and one Thurs), Keith Allen or no Keith Allen. It looks to me to be more science than sensationalism and as a scientist I shall be interested in the results and conclusion. I've never taken recreational drugs nor am I likely to but I'm still interested in learning more about the subject. It's all to easy to close the mind to such things but a few more facts can't be a bad thing before considering the evidence, even if it doesn't change one's mind.

I don't envy the participants if they have to spend too much time in a MRI scanner - not an altogether pleasant experience.

From the TV guide:

Two live programmes which follow volunteers as they take MDMA, the pure form of ecstasy, as part of a scientific study... The first live programme unravels the mysteries of MDMA, revealing how the drug affects the brain. The six-month long neuroscience study, designed by two leading experts on MDMA, uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine how MDMA affects the resting brain in healthy volunteers. The programme also looks at the potential side-effects and dangers of taking MDMA and includes a discussion with an expert who disagrees with the study and is sceptical about its purpose.

The second live programme investigates the implications of a scientific study of the effects of MDMA, including potential clinical uses such as whether it could offer a breakthrough in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The programme discovers what recreational users can learn from the trial before discussing MDMA's classification as a Class A drug and possible long-term effects.

The Daily Mail is concerned that the programme may encourage drug use but I think it's a brave attempt by Channel 4 to throw a bit more light on the subject.

Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial: Pioneering science -- or a cynical new low from Channel 4? | Mail Online

Actually I'd have quite liked to have taken part...