Thread: Licence's
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:33   #28
Sunflower49

Re: Licence's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
he missed the H out of where rather than missing the ' out of we're...which would be wrong too because then he would be saying "we are have I said that?"

/GrammarnNazi
Lol I've not read the post again Restless, I would, but it would probably cause me some sort of pain, and I like to go gentle on myself these days.

I am a grammar nazi. I cannot help it sometimes, I am perhaps hypocritical because I am absolutely atrocious at mathematics. However this is why I tend to make use of a calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
If you are such an anarchist, do you pay your rent/mortgage, council tax, utility bills etc? If not are you not very cold and living in a tent or squat? You have to be able to stand by your principles or they are meaningless.
In the eighties I did the poll tax protest to the point where I beat the bailiffs but was about to be sent to prison, by which time the poll tax had been withdrawn and I agreed to pay a nominal amount. I was protesting about a principle which I genuinely felt was wrong (but knew how far I was prepared to go, call me a coward for not following it through to the end but I cared more about my children's wellbeing.) I'm actually proud of the fact that I was part of overturning an unjust system.
I don't think that you can just not pay your TV licence because you don't want to, if you genuinely don't agree sort out a proper protest, don't rely on the people who appear in Court for non payment who usually have more personal rather than political reasons for non payment.
I think you may be looking for a cause to protest against which you have not found. You can't rebel for the sake of it.
I agree anarchic views are admirable, it's just that as you say, without being a total societial outcast and creating a more difficult life for yourself, it's difficult to be an anarchist to any sort of notable extent...And I struggle to find a middle ground with things such as TV licencing etc.

I think I am a slightly anarchic. But the reason I CAN be anarchic is due to luck, and due to circumstances beyond my control-and surely this makes me the opposite of an anarchist, my mutiny(partially) was cut out for me and I just went along with it!

As for the idiot box, I never had one when I had my own house , until I was bought one by my Mother. I never knew where the remote was and it got switched on about once a week when it suited me...

In the place I base my hat at now, there is one but it isn't even wired up...

I can watch things on the pc if I want to.I am quite hyperactive for want of a better word and the thought of sitting on my ass watching something somebody else decided was worthy of watch, doesn't appeal much, I'd rather do something fun, or useful...