Thread: Newbies
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2012, 20:53   #5
Sunflower49

Re: Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think it helps to observe the forum for a little while before jumping in.
Learn who the grumpy burgers are
I am now picturing a burger with a HUGE frown on its 'face'.

Hairylee, I don't think it's a bad idea-I don't suppose it will be welcomed or approved on here, though. I think it would suit better a forum which was aimed at one subject in particular-so that if somebody is new to a certain subject they can ask questions or speak about things and not be mocked or ridiculed for not knowing a lot?

This forum seems to be (I'm relatively new myself!) a more 'general' forum just focused on a certain local area.

I agree Margaret-have often thought myself, if somebody takes offence or gets very upset, over somebody being nasty with them on an internet forum, then how must they cope with the difficult things life throws at us.

I also think this can be applied to 'real life', getting upset over what strangers think of them, generally. I don't think this means that it's okay to be horrible on a forum, particularly in cases where there is absolutely no basis for it. I'm not a 'nasty' person, and those who are really harsh with others on forums, I sometimes wonder why.

I think I behave pretty much the same online as I do in real life-and I don't tend to like people who are nasty for no reason, in person or online.

What confuses me a lot is, some people I have met after knowing them online, or have known personally then view their behaviour on the internet, and each is a COMPLETELY different persona!THAT, I do NOT get my head around!