View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 16:14   #13
Eric
God Member

Re: have the yanks got this one right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is what I meant Eric...that the states have their own rules...autonomy.
I was using a bit of literary licence when I said they could punish 'as they see fit'.

The punishments(or correction, if you prefer that word) seem to be more appropriate than what the judiciary are allowed to mete out here.

Prison here seems a more pleasant option that some old folks nursing homes, where the incumbents are paying 600 quid a week for their 'care'.
Perhaps we should be charging prisoners for their accommodation and meals.
The autonomy thing can get a little confusing ... the "fry 'em or hang 'em" supporters on AccyWeb often talk about the death penalty in the US, probably without realizing that 17 US States, and the District of Columbia do not have the death penalty ... Wisconsin hasn't had the dp since 1853. Not only that, some of the death penalty states don't use it all that often. Can get confusing when you are driving too. I can turn right on a red light in Ontario (remember we drive on the other side of the road), but in Quebec I would get a ticket. If I were convicted of breaking an Ontario law, or if I received a sentence of less than two years on a federal offence, I would do time in a Provincial pen ... If I break a municipal traffic law in Kingston right now, I could avoid the fine and the points on my licence by making a contribution to the "Toys for Kids" drive. Anyway, you can't really think in terms of American Law without taking into consideration State and local laws ... there are still lots of dry (as in "alcohol free") counties in the states ... good old Jack Daniels bourbon is actually distilled in a dry county ... go figure, eh. They can make it there, but they have to go somewhere else to drink it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote