View Single Post
Old 20-11-2012, 22:08   #38
Eric
God Member

Re: Anyone got tales to tell about childhood chrismas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
When I was at Benjamin Hargreaves School in Standard 1, Miss Wilson was the teacher. As Christmas neared we were asked to bring jelly and blancmange packets for a party. There was a cooking stove at the back of the classroom and on the morning of the party Miss Wilson cooked the blancmanges. I remember the warmth and the wonderful sweet smell as we did our work. At the party we sat on benches alongside long tables, and one of the benches collapsed at one end and several children slid off. It would be 1944 or 1945. I think the whole school was present but it was a small school. It's the only time I remember a Christmas party at school.

There was a party at New Jerusalem Sunday School as well, one Saturday afternoon, maybe the same year. Father Christmas came and we were given a present and an orange. All the presents were wrapped and I got a paintbox.
Would that be the New Jerusalem Sunday School in Clayton? I remember going to kids' parties there in the late forties and early fifties. My mom went to that church.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote