View Single Post
Old 21-12-2012, 14:12   #24
pompeylass

Re: Can We Really Listen To A Book?

I love audiobooks.

First, I used to get them from the Library, in CD and cassette formats. I really liked them but I found they used to make me drowsy and almost fall asleep.

After fighting this for some time, through book after book, I listened to 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks narrated by Peter Kenney; dead weird & dark but very funny in places; the phone conversations with his brother in particular had me in hysterics.

I think that's when got hooked into taking them more seriously; that book and the fact that we had bought an iPad. I discovered that the iPad works just the same as a kindle reader so we can download both audio and kindle to it.

Then I joined 'Audible.co.uk' and signed up for a book-a-month. This is owned by Amazon too. I've been a member for year now so I've had 12 books so far.

But, what about the drowsiness, I hear you say? Well, I've combated that by putting my iPad on a stand next to my desktop PC and then work on an electronic jigsaw while I'm listening.

I use one half of the brain taking in the story while the other half is mechanically working on a really hard jigsaw. No more drowsiness.

This works great for me!

Sheila and Barry

Last edited by pompeylass; 21-12-2012 at 14:21.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote