View Single Post
Old 24-12-2012, 20:04   #60
Atarah
Senior Member+

Wellington Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I used to call on an old chap on the corner of South St and Wellingtont, I called him owd Jack and visited him every day as did my sisters and many other kids, would be frowned on today, he was quite a character who made a mean brew. Looking back I,m guessing he would have been in his 70s. Just wondered if you ever met him.
Hi you must mean what I call the bottom part of South Street, if you mention it being the corner of Wellington Street. Really cant think who you mean. I lived at the top end of South Street, nr Trevor Cunliffe who played as a drummer in a group, and near David Pickup and his family. I always remember a rather "rough" family who lived between Littlefairs newsagents and what must be the corner you are describing. They were rather "loud" and one of their sayings was "as ti shut doooer?" Funnily enough I can still recognise the family all these years later. My first true love was also a paperboy at Littlefairs, he and his brothers (the Hymes family) were all part of my younger life, meeting them outside the shop and walking with them to school, me to the Accrington High School for Girls and they to Hyndburn Park. Later, when we had all become proper pals, going to the Youth Club with them on a Friday night at Royds Street, playing table tennis and having lovely, innocent, nights out together.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote