View Single Post
Old 27-12-2012, 11:53   #14
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Nice and early Bradford Match Thread........

Disappointing performance. However, Bradford are a strong side and they are playing with a confidence and an expectation that they will win every match. Agree with earlier comments that we were weak in midfield, both creatively and offensively. I have said in recent weeks that we lack a truly combative midfield player or two.....like Procky used to be. Yes a few of our lads are lacking confidence and are playing below par, Moly seemed out of sorts. Rommy was our only real attacking force yesterday and he deserved his goal. Carver did well and added some needed physicality to our attacking line in the second half.
I thought that the referee was too generous to Bradford. He let three of their players; right back, big lad up front and right winger, use their arms continually in on the ball challenges. The right back just gently nudged into the backs of our lads all the time. The centre forward set his arm across the body of our defenders every time he went for the ball. Now whilst these incidents do not look like blatant fouls it makes it very difficult for the honest player to get anywhere near the ball. I was getting really frustrated!! The game is called football not "Armball". Come on match officials, get onto it!! Also the two Bradford forwards purposely stood ten yards offside from their goalkicks which went mainly to the head of their right winger and as such they should have been flagged offside because they were often the next receiver, albeit by then in an onside position. The effect of this tactic is simply to cause confusion for the officials and it caused our defenders to be on the backfoot as they retreated to try to pick up the second phase whilst travelling backwards into deeper territory.
Having said that, Bradford deserved the win but when we equalised I was really hoping for the robbery event of the season and would have loved to have spoiled the Bantams Christmas party and come home with a point!
We have to try and be more physical in midfield for me and defend further up the pitch if we are to improve our season and start getting some points.
ps. I do have a real bugbear about the use of "arms"!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote