View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 17:08   #58
Restless
Senior Member+

Re: You Tube Downloads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Hark the upholder of Internet copyright law!
I am actually starting to feel that I am flogging a dead horse with this one.

Nevertheless.

Google. The now owner of Youtube get contacted tons and tons and tons of times per day by companies like Warner Brothers, Virgin, SONY ETC. Because someone like you or me might put up a song. By this We are not doing something all that bad. But then again, Back in the day it was just cool to browse youtube. We are sharing with the world. Telling them what we like.

Then it became another means of downloading music. Streaming music doesn't hurt the record business(an opinion of my own not a fact) however the option to download from the site does because you are not buying the mp3(in case of those plugins that turn FLV into MP3) from the record companies. Hell I have had infraction for putting a cover version up of an REM song. This is not from Gooogle this is from the stinking record companies.

Google added a condition to their terms of service. You cannot use any other software to download. This is pretty tricky to avoid-- there are tons of ways you can connect to youtube and stream them to various devices. There is a very VERY fine line between streaming and downloading but major companies are making that line thinner by the day

Google
try their best to protect their users from what I gather. They don't add this condition to the TOS so they can make money. Its to protect them and to protect us the users. Without us Google would be nothing.

Real
A company that takes your information(or did at one point-- see what Neil said earlier) and then sells it on to other companies because you agreed to it in the disclaimer when you installed their garbage software!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I bet you've done your fair share of ripping and nicking music in your time.
Completely and utterly irrelevant to this discussion.

But to answer this(though it is covered earlier) 90% of my downloads are actually FLAC files from a site that people that tape concerts, upload them for others to listen to. I have mentioned before( and to you in PM ) that I am a collector of live bootlegs.