View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 14:33   #71
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Ran out of time on my last posting, so am continuing now -

I have been on a "mission" this morning. I walked around the area, with my camera, and found it very upsetting to see. I found myself going back in time, remembering my childhood growing up there, "seeing in my mind" the families who once lived there. The walking day processions, the stashing away of wood for bonfire night, the "gangs" we had going up Oak Hill Park in an evening, NOT causing problems though, just groups of kids from the area. Playing hide and seek in The Rock Gardens. Playing tennis in the park. Happy days!
Hudson Street is a street of fine, large terraced houses. Hope they are to be saved. Still cannot understand why South Street is not included in this scheme. When my aunts house was valued - in 2003, the estate said, although South Street was "not such a bad street" it was STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CHURCHYARD and so that affected his valuation!

I quote [I]"Phase 1 will include the refurbishment and remodelling of 89 properties between Augusta Street and Booth Street. We will completely transform these properties from "2 up 2 down" homes that were previously costly to heat, into a range of energy efficient 2, 3 and 4-bed family homes. In total we propose to deliver 71 homes, broken down by 22 x 2 bed, 31 x 3 bed and 18 x 4 bed. All homes will be avilable for rent".
I also have fond memories of the old times along Nuttall street.
I had friends who lived in Royds Street and we thought they were posh.
I went to school with Anne Hadfield, whose mother had a woolshop at the corner of Royds and Nuttall street.
There were the Hindle twins.....I had a very soft spot for Stuart - we were seven years old and we used to catch the bus outside his grandads toffee shop on Nuttall street.
Bob Wilkinsons Ironmongers was where I used to push the pram to to buy bags of coal bricks and gallon cans of 'lamp oil'.
Harry Booths butchers was where Ma would send us for our fresh meat. The co-op had a grocery store and a green grocers there too. I used to run all the way along to the co-op reciting the divi number out loud.....10168,10168,10168...and by the time I got there I had forgotten what I had been sent for.

I too payed in Oakhill park...rolling down the steep slope by the cenotaph.
Playing in the hidden garden.

It was a wholesome place...full of neighbourly folk who would help you out if you needed it.
It dismays me to see it as it is now.
I hope it can be revitalised and again become a worthwhile community.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 06-01-2013 at 14:36.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote