View Single Post
Old 30-01-2013, 07:38   #75
dotti34

Re: Black lead fireside range (please help)

I’ve just been reading all the very interesting accounts of the ‘luxuries’ of a by-gone era. Brought back memories - it's that 'age' thing. The house where I lived until I was 14 had a black-leaded fireplace and oven – my mother used to keep it well polished, hard work but not one complaint.
I was born in this house and my cot was the bottom drawer, never closed of course but it probably would have been a temptation to do so had I been a screaming baby (oops!).
Friday night was bath night – tin bath in the kitchen. Big rock kept in the garden during the summer became the bed-warmer in the winter – it was great, kept the heat well, wrapped in a blanket.
Dad held a big sheet of paper in front of the fire to create a draught and get it started – often paper caught on fire, no wonder I have a phobia about fire now.
Outside toilet, pan was emptied weekly. Yuk! Washday was Monday, ironing Tuesday and so on, never different. My mother possed the clothes in the dolly tub then put them through a heavy wringer. Clothes were hung out across the road on lines to dry, lines held up high with props to keep them out of the way of any passing vehicles, though not many of those.
Sheer luxury when we got a Council house…..and yes, I did wear clogs. Hand made by Thornber’s of Clitheroe if I remember rightly. I had a pair of blue ones. Lasted forever.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote