View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 16:11   #37
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: loose potato pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Ok fellow Accy webbers - feels like I'm doing missionary work with those from outside our wonderful area following more blank expressions of "whats looose potatoe pie"

So at some stage i'm going to treat my work colleagues to said potatoe pie made by me

Now the problem I've sampled loads of them at many functions since my childhood but never made one so does anyone have a recepie thats a bit more than peel spuds add beef and water and cook?

Your advice would be much appreciated
Yep, I've always understood, like several other posters, loose potato pie to be meat and potatoes cooked in quantity then covered with a pastry lid which when cooked was cut up and served separately along with beetroot and/or red cabbage. That is as opposed to an individual potato pie which to me always has too much crust. I've never heard the term elsewhere than Accy.

My mum, who was a good cook and although a southerner very good at Northern recipes, used to make hers in a mixing bowl, one of the big yellow ones, and the pastry was always very slightly soggy underneath, which I liked. Mind you, her pastry was to die for anyway!

If you need a recipe for such a thing this might do:

How To Make Meat And Potato Pie Recipe (Savoury Pies)

I see they add carrots to the meat which you might not want to do.

Funnily enough we're having stewed potatoes tonight - but made with bacon rather than left over meat.

Last edited by susie123; 07-02-2013 at 16:15.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote