Thread: Torquay thread
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 16:11   #59
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Torquay thread

Personally I think Peter played very well yesterday. His positioning was good and he won the majority of his personal battles. He's employed as a ball-winner in midfield and I think he is doing well at it. He walks a line with his attitude on the pitch and he narrowly avoided red for a lunge yesterday afternoon, but you can't fault his commitment. He'll only get better at his midfield role as well which is promising.

Murphy's midfield partner Joyce did indeed have a stinker, and although I can empathise with the relief felt when he was substituted, some of the jeers around the ground were uncalled for. He's one of ours after all. He'll know he had a bad day at the office. I'd have Linganzi to start in his place next time out.

Overall I thought we played fairly well and though the resulting draw was unfair due to a painfully incorrect decision from the liner, we didn't deserve to come out rampant winners either.

We contained Howe effectively (Tom and Dean must take a great deal of credit for this) and rarely did their runners get behind our back four. The lack of confidence in the shaky Rachubka weirdly works well for us as the defenders think twice about their line. Paul has got to improve on his kicking and commanding though - for a player of his experience he has simply not been good enough. Bavs is back on the golf course and pushing to get back in before the season is out.

I have to agree that our movement needs work. This is epitomised in the lack of options available when we get a throw in the oppo half - we are a joy to defend against in these situations because the forwards don't move well enough. Once Linny is back I'd like to see Boco and Gray up front with Craig out wide. Gray is lively and has been a revelation in his short run of starting appearances, but can't rely on Beattie's scraps as these are too few and far between.

Lots of positives to take from the game (none moreso than the second successive clean sheet) but certainly more work to do to ensure we are safe from relegation.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote