Thread: The Tories
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:16   #2617
Eric
God Member

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ted Teeth did it with a pen, but it wasn't anything like Europe as we know it today, we had a referendum in the 70s asking if we wanted to stay in the common market, as it was called then, I'm sure if people had have known what Europe would become back then there wouldn't have been a cat in hells chance of a yes vote
Common Market wasn't a bad idea ... like NAFTA, it was economically inevitable. But this giving up of sovreignty? I don't go along with that. We are America's largest trading partner, their major supplier of oil and uranium. But, we are still Canada. We pursue an independent foreign policy: We recognize Cuba, and we didn't participate in Iraq. Someone ... I don't know who ... once said that Canadians are unarmed Americans with universal health care But it's more than that. Giving up national identity is the one thing any country should avoid. What surprises me is that the tories are not more eurosceptic than they are. If I were Cameron, I would risk holding a binding, simply worded referendum in the very near future. Such a ballsey move might get him a majority in the next general election. What the hell, he's got nothing to lose ... and everything to gain.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote