View Single Post
Old 18-03-2013, 07:43   #29
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: World Maths Day Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I was always absolutely rubbish at maths. I got even more rubbish once it was established that I was rubbish, because my Father took to trying to help me with it but he's a very impatient person and it often ended in shouting and yelling at me when I didn't pick something up quickly.

I was 'scared' of maths after this, which made it worse because I associated it with being shouted at and feeling bad about not being good at it, I kind of avoided it and as I got older I approached it again and found I wasn't so bad at it after all, now I wasn't feeling like I was bad for not being good at it!
Having said that, It's not affected me much. I second the algebra thing, and most of what I was taught in Maths at school makes no sense now whatsoever and has never been something I've needed to be good at.
I think it's over-rated and over-emphasised in teaching, regarded as a very important subject. Why does society need loads of people to be really good at maths?Just as we don't need a large massive number of astronauts or sociologists or people who are experts in other fields, why do we need everybody to be brilliant at Maths?
Comes in handy on pay day though
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote