Thread: Beer & Pop
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2013, 15:00   #50
Pudwoppa

Re: Beer & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A member of the Stocks family tells me that (1960s) the firm used tap water rather than a well, and is unaware of there being a well on the premises. He does recall that across the road, where Bank Brewery was, a hole appeared in the path around the small garden area mid-60s. It was believed to have been caused by there being a well underneath, I thibnk this may be why that bit of land has never been built on.
Sorry to dig up an old thread - was just reading through this and thought I'd add some info I found whilst digging around the other day. Apparently, the reason this land was never built on was because the chap who donated it to the council made a stipulation to that effect.

"the site of the former Bank Brewery... speaking to Councillor (or later Alderman) Johnson... he said that he had signed up of a gift of that land from Mr. Smith (a former wholesale and retail confectioner) to the Council. Mr. Johnson said that land had never to be built on as Mr. Smith said that he was giving it because there was no longer anywhere for children to play now that all the houses had been built... The transfer of land was probably in the 1950's or early 1960's."

Details in original article here on the Hyndburn Council website.

I know it's a third hand tale, but it could well be true. No pun intended.

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 18-03-2013 at 15:03.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote