View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 20:43   #9
El Al

Thumbs up Re: The Ibbets - Oswaldtwistle

Hi
I know this is an old thread but I read it and thought you may be interested in my input.

My family ironically called Riley, live at Hibberts Farm, which is just above Rough Hey an old country road located in Broadfield.

Hibberts Farm, which has a colourful history of once being a Pub (The Boleyn Butcher) and the home to potters called Riley in the 18th century.

Hibberts farm is opposite a pond called the "Blunger", a blunger being an old horse drawn machine to separate stones from clay to create a clean/pure clay. This pond was connected by a small canal that ran to another pond that was located where the garage is just above Pothouse lane, these ponds were clay pits. This one was filled in years ago. There is evidence of another clay pit in the trees above the Blunger, there were remains of railway tracks there in the 70s,for small gauge, probably mule pulled trucks to move the clay. If you dig anywhere in the area of the Blunger there are thousands of shards of broken earthenware pottery just below the surface.
In the field above Hibberts Farm there was extensive evidence of extraction of clay, this was filled in, in the early 70s.

I read your posts with interest and hope I have answered your query.
Regards
Al
El Al is offline   Reply With Quote