View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 13:09   #4
claytonx
Rest in Peace

Re: mitchells house reservoirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban caveman View Post
hi bob, you may be right in saying that it was a non commercial drift as i have spent the last 2 days on the internet trying to find out any info about the mine with very little success. All i can find is a link on google books that talks about some problems with the reservoirs embankments partly due to subsidence of the mines below. Apparantly from what i read in that link mining was carried out under both reservoirs. The reason i ask is that i beleive i may have found an entry to this mine. A year ago myself and a friend found an over grown entrance, we followed the very tight tunnel which after a while branched off in 2 different directions, they seemed to be heading under each of the reservoirs, we didnt go all the way through though. It was only a couple of days ago that i stumbled across the link that informed me that there was a coal mine on the site.
I should have thought the entrance to the mine would have started quite a way from the reservoirs and be gradually slopping downwards as the Google page states the workings were in the lower mountain seam 70 meters down. Maybe under the reservoirs it is only just a part of the mine which could be a lot larger as it was open from 1886 to 1905.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote