View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 18:09   #6
claytonx
Rest in Peace

Re: mitchells house reservoirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
For the unititiated, in this part of the world there is an Upper Mountain and a Lower Mountain seam They are between 24 and 36inches in height. I don't know enough about them to say more. We are running out of lads who worked in our pits who could tell us more.
I was a shift mechanic at Huncoat Pit were the upper mountain seam was worked as you say Bob about maximum coal height between floor and roof 37 inches. The lower mountain had been worked out I am talking 1950. Huncoat mechanics also covered Calder Pit on shifts they had a permanent day mechanic, I have been to a 12 inch high coal cutter fast between roof and floor so as you see seams do not always stay the same height. I think the height of the seam spelt the end for the pit.
I was promoted to area mechanisation staff covering all pits in this area and found some seams where you could nearly stand up straight 5ft 8ins these were The Union seam at Hill Top Bacup and Deerply Colliery going over to Bacup
I think I am right in saying Bank Hall had the Arley, Dandy, Upper and Lower Mountain and the Union seam,
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote