View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 22:12   #71
Mog

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, that is not the issue here....it is respect for the whole family who are grieving regardless of their past.
It isn't about what he has done or what he hasn't done, it is about the loss a family are grieving for.
They have lost a mother...and you only ever have one of those...and however bad they are....you still have lost.
I cannot explain it any better than that.
Her life has to be about more than the 11 years she was in office.......but, that is just how I see it.
My mother is almost the same age and I know how I would feel if she were to die tomorrow......perhaps some of you cannot empathise with this.
This demand for respectful silence in the wake of a public figure's death is not just misguided but dangerous. That one should not speak ill of the dead is arguably appropriate when a private person dies, but it is wildly inappropriate for the death of a controversial public figure, particularly one who wielded significant influence and political power. "Respecting the grief" of Thatcher's family members is appropriate if one is friends with them or attends a wake they organise, but the protocols are fundamentally different when it comes to public discourse about the person's life and political acts.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote