View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 01:53   #73
GEaston

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Thatcher's achievements far exceed her negatives.

Britain in 1979 was like Greece. 6 years later it was the economic powerhouse of Europe.

Sure there were groups that got trampled on along the way, but that's true whenever change occurs and god knows change was needed. We couldn't even clear rubbish away under Labour.

Fact is she was driven, intelligent, determined, principled. Majority of the population respected her for it. I worked in the city of London during this time and the toffs got what they deserved. Prior to 1986 there was a club of elite who ran London. They walked around the city wearing silver top hats (truly, they did). She bust that up with deregulation and the introduction of electronic trading, and wider asset ownership (houses to companies). Terrible companies like British Leyland rightly went to the wall.

I come from the North, and every male member of my family back to 1700 (and probably long prior) was down a mine. Most died in their 20's to 50s from either accidents or lung related death. I'm pleased that industry was killed off in the UK in the same way that I'm happy that kids aren't sent up chimneys to clean them. Wanting to preserve industries that are clearly technologically dead makes no sense. It's like moaning about cheap overseas cotton killing Accrington. In the case of coal, just scoop the top off the surface like they do at the largest open cast mine at Widdrington.

Thatcher turned around the economy, created an economic powerhouse, put Europe and Argentina in it's place and was so popular she was freely elected 3x. Of course a minority won't like her - so far as I can see in terms of statesmen its Neil Kinnock (who never got to power because she was so popular), Gerry Adams, and General Galtiery .

RIP Mrs T.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote