View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 14:45   #224
Barrie Yates
Senior Member+

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
So after 11 years of misrule by this evil, wicked woman the British voters wised up and soon brought in a 'Government of the People'- New Labour.
They quickly set about, in the 13 short years they had, in undoing all the evil, wicked things she had done about----free school milk.

Is that it? No more?Was that all they could see of evil wickedness which had to be undone?

Doesn't that mean we had an evil wicked Labour Government which continued with all ( except free milk ) her evil wicked policies?

Or did Tony and Gordon sit in No 10 saying ' Hey, Maggie came up with some good ideas.
We wouldn't dare have done them but now she's started it let's run with it. No publicity, don't forget! Quietly.'

Perhaps voting Labour next time might be a good idea, they'll continue with all the evil, wicked things the ConDems are doing.

It's called Politics.
A great deal has been said about her closing the pits and running down British industry - quite a well informed in the Telegraph (Daily not Blackburn), a couple of days ago. It is somewhat long winded but one particular section seemed particularly pertinent.

"The real decline happened under Labour: in the second quarter of 2010, when Gordon Brown left office, the output of UK factories was fractionally lower than it was when Thatcher took her last, tearful ride in that ministerial Jaguar. It was significantly lower than when John Major left. Total industrial production including coal rose even more substantially under Thatcher than just manufacturing, thanks to North Sea oil. Far more miners lost their jobs, and far more mines were shut, in the 1960s and 1970s than during Thatcher’s time in office. Britain is suffering from a bout of collective amnesia".

I didn't agree with all she did - the major thing being not to allow Councils to build more houses with the money from Council House sales and allowing tenants who had purchased their houses to be able to sell them in too short a period.
As for the sale of nationalised industry - I bought all the shares I could afford and held on to them as long as possible - they made a profit for me.
During the winter of '71/'72 we had been allocated a fairly large RAF house which needed a lot of heating - where did I get my coal - in the pub car park from miners who were on strike but still getting their coal allowance. Nobody forced anyone, other than the Bevan Boys, to go down the pits, so they were in a far safer occupation than fighting on the front line or being in a Japanese prison camp.