View Single Post
Old 13-04-2013, 11:42   #45
DtheP47
I am Banned

Re: Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This would seem to put a whole new spin on the phrase "dead industries".

I'm not an expert on this, but I would suspect that new technologies have made coal burning a whole bunch cleaner. And when you think of events like Chernobyl, coal is a helluva lot safer.

Also, one can't consider the coal industry in isolation, one has to lood at the vital communities it supported.
Chernobyl, Fukushima and a bit closer to you Dr Eric Six Mile Island always get trotted out when the safety record of the Nuclear Industry comes into question. Old technologies

I am looking across at Angelsey as I tripe this, there has been a Nuclear Power station on the island for years with an exemplary safety record and people down here are happy with it. There's currently an expansion project for WylfaB which is slated to bring 900 high quality jobs to the area. What's not to like in that goal to support vital communities as you put it?

And let's compare apples for apples globally please the UK coal industry was in terminal decline before Scargill decided to take on the government of the day. It was being overtaken by foreign competition back then. I am repeating myself but study the cost of acquisition when making comparisons please.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote