Thread: Luis Suarez.
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2013, 16:17   #21
Eric
God Member

Re: Luis Suarez.

Maybe the problem is the game of football itself ... or, rather, what it has become in the BIG leagues, with the expensive superstars. Some of us can remember when it was a man's game, played by men. I don't think I'm the only one still around on here who can remember the 1958 Cup Final (back in the day when the FA Cup meant something), when Nat Lofthouse bundled Harry Gregg into the net to score a goal. Now, seems like you can't fart in the general direction of an opponent without getting a yellow. A bunch of overpaid, wimpish prima donnas whose major contribution to the game is rolling around in fake agony in order to draw a free kick or get an opponent carded. Not surprising that frustrations build up, and sometimes burst out in, let's say, inappropriate ways, whether it be a rascist slur or a chomp on someone's arm. There is way too much cheap, chippy stuff going on. And the reffing! Absolute garbage. I don't know of any other sport where the officiating is so bad, or so controversial. In hockey, for example, there are very few questioned calls ... sometimes whole games go by without even one. And I've watched games in which a whole period goes by without a single penalty being called.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote