Thread: Asian Disaster
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:38   #40
Darby

Re: Asian Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
I can't believe that people are arguing about this. I am totally dumbfounded by such a callous attitude.
I think everybody has the right to their opininions...even if you or I don't agree with them.

Callousness isn't the only issue, there are far too many leaders / governments etc. who are equally far more callous, and worse still, pretend to care.

Does the UK care more because we have donated 'n' millions?

Does Saudi Arabia care less because they have donated only 10 million, and raised 155 million for the families of suicide bombers who daily kill innocent people?

To put things into some sort of perspective;
There have been, and will be, more severe natural disasters, but to an individual, the loss of a loved one is more harrowing. It is the scale of the thing that astounds us...and the fact that the media are grinding out each and every heart rendering story to the last drop perpetuates the disaster to the last penny!

Indonesia is a large oil exporter.
India spends countless amounts of money on nuclear weapons.
Sri Lanka has a long time civil war, and spend most of its annual income on arms.
Thailand exisits off drugs, and the sex trade, and nobody knows what they do with their national income, corruption being the "norm".

But none of the above will bring back those who have died in the disaster, nor will things really change in these countries in the near future!

But that is my perspective!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote