View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55   #27
Mog

Re: Huncoat Colliery

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi there,

The attached photo is of some miners at the Huncoat pit (or maybe Scaitliff). I think it was taken when the pit closed, but not sure.
My interest in the picture is the person 3rd from the right, front row. This was Robert (Bob) Bannister, who sadly passed away in 2008 aged 83 in Morecombe.
He was the person running a gym and promoting wrestling in the Drill Hall during the sixties.
Could be that you might be on the photo also?

Sorry but I can't seem to load the picture. Will try again later.
I think You got this all wrong my freind. Robert (Bob) Bannister. Never worked in the coal mines when I knew him. I first met Bob in 1954 as he lived close to me. I lived on Crown Street And Bob lived at the top of Ranger street, Richmond Hill street area. He,s was up until I left Accy a window cleaner as well as a Wrestling Promoter, wrestler and every thing connected to wrestling. Also I think he did get involved with boxing. When he was a wrestler, he fought under the name of Robert Retsinbban or Robert Retsinab. He did have a Gym at the Drill hall and in 1964 I was one of his seconds when the fought some bid sod called The Angel. I had to drag this big guy out of the ring when he was out cold.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote