View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 23:03   #575
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
The new 35 minute train journey to Manchester (they say 40 but that's from Blackburn) commencing next May will also I fear take a plethora of people away. Why shop here when you can be in Manchester 15 minutes quicker than the bus to Burnley?

I fear the only answer is to begin again. Although it's a vicious circle. With things as they are.....who would buy the land on which a demolished Arndale would lie?
Hmmm..I guess someone once asked the question...'who would buy a delapidated mill in Oswaldtwistle?'..Answer..someone with vision!

Your original argument concerned lack of cash because of recession, now you suggest that those self same people would be stumping up for the train fare to Manchester and back hoping that they can net enough bargains to make it worthwhile. The only other reason that they would do this is for a pleasurable day out.

Therefore the question that needs addressing is 'what does it take to make Accrington a pleasureable day out'.....it sure as hell aint struggling with a multi storey car park, empty shops, drunks, beggars, lack of seating and wind tunnels.

So..we need a decent market with a variety of stalls, plenty of space to browse, good car parking, a place to shelter in inclement weather that is close enough to the local transport system that a 70 year old woman with two full carrier bags can reach and can attract the 18-30 big spenders......

erm...Accrington circa 1970-80 Q.E.D