View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21   #19
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Wigan FA Cup Winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
I saw Northern Premier League Wigan Athletic play a few times at Great Harwood's Showground in the 1970's,then yesterday they were beating the multi billionaires in the FA Cup Final!! I for one wouldn't like to see our club turned into a Wigan Athletic. I think that most of us on here would have our noses pushed out if we became that successful. We'd be sat in plastic seats in a plastic ground, behind face painted plastic fans who's claim that they'd always supported Stanley even though they only started watching when promotion to the Premiership or Championship was virtually guaranteed.
Our new ground would be near Altham which from my point of view would be bad as i wouldn't be able to walk to the match again. Our players would all be foreigners on stupid salaries and we'd probably end up being sponsored by one of those spiv money lenders or some dodgy gambling firm. I'm not saying some sugar daddy would not be welcome but giving us enough money to flirt with the odd promotion to league 1, even the Championship should be our limit as anything above that would mean us losing our identity!
I think you could be in a minority there winstanley, most football fans would love to wake up on matchday knowing they were going to watch their team playing on their own ground against United, Liverpool. Arsenal or Chelsea that afternoon
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote