View Single Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:41   #97
Studio25

Re: police speed checks m65

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
someone once said to me that speeding dosnt get you to where you want to go any faster

i would just like to confirm that is bollocks you do get to where you want to go faster

its simple maths really i dont know why people say otherwise
It's because going fast doesn't necessarily change your average speed, and it's that you need to increase in order to get to your destination sooner.

On Friday afternoon I was coming back from Clitheroe and arrived at the A59 at the same time as someone in a Fiat 500 Abarth. I stayed left at 50, he thrashed it down the outside lane, and cut in ahead of someone right at the big roundabout with the A671 - he'd gained about 350 metres. By the time I arrived at the lights he was two cars in front. He hammered it again to get past the cars ahead of him so he disappeared from view - until we got to the lights where we split off on the 680 towards Great Harwood. Now there was only one car between us. At the turn into Harwood, the separating car continued off into Clayton. We arrived at my destination at the same time.

I hadn't needed to stop at the two sets of lights, he had. So that had cut his average speed down to the same as mine, even though he'd been thrashing it whenever he could.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote