View Single Post
Old 21-05-2013, 21:57   #1
Karateman

Tracing Ancestry

Doing some ancestry research on mine, and my wifes families and so far got a lot of information, some going back to the late 18th cent.

My biggest problem is conflicting information reference birth dates and the like.
For example, the wifes grandad, a Joseph Mcintyre. I have found his family in the 1891 census where it says Joseph Mcintyre was 2 yrs old born in Horwich Bolton. So, I thinks to myself he was born in 1889 or 1888 perhaps. I then look for his birth record. Nothing for 1888 or 1889, but I find one Joseph Mcintyre's birth record in Bolton in 1887. So I think he should have been 3 or 4 on the census. Anyway I then try and trace his marriage to her grandma and find he was married in 1906. I sent for a copy of the marriage certiificate and low and behold it says he is 21 yrs old, suggesting he was born in 1885 or 1884 maybe, but again no birth records for those years.

So, 1891 census says he was 2 and born in Bolton, suggesting he was born in 1888/9 (definitely correct family)

Birth records say he was born in 1887 (Only Birth in Bolton in 1887 +/- 5 yrs)

and his wedding certificate suggests he was born in 1884/5 (definitely correct wedding certificate)

Any ideas why such conflicting info and how I could nail the correct date other than maybe order a birth certificate for another £10

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web