View Single Post
Old 25-05-2013, 14:50   #2
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Coffee (caffeine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You may recall that I reported here a few years back that I had a sleep disorder, whereby I had an 'overwhelming urge to sleep' after every few hours of being awake.

At that time my doc's recommendation was 'Drink lots of coffee' - well I did, but it wasn't good advice.

I became a coffee connoisseur and have three different kitchen gadgets for making it.
I came to realise that I was a caffeine addict, when I decided that the three mugs full of cafetiere brew were my main reason for getting out of bed in a morning.

As an old biddy of 70, I found that I was experiencing 'urge to frequently micturate' which is far worse than 'urge to frequently sleep'.

Rather than accept the signs that urinary incontinence was pending, I began to explore its causes and cures, and lo and behold, a cause is my beloved caffeine !

I am undertaking a caffeine (coffee) withdrawal - it isn't pleasant. - a bit like flu with a hangover headache combined. I can see that I will need to wean myself off it gradually.

I am having decaff ground coffee delivered tomorrow, which I will mix with my 'full strength' coffee- gradually reducing the caffeine in the mix.

It is interesting to note that yesterday when I drank nothing but water I didn't have any 'mad dashes to the loo'.

So despite any likely jibes about me being a pee artist and such like, I offer this experience as helpful to anyone with 'urinary old age problems'.
To be honest Margaret I find that very interesting, I used to drink nothing but coffee, in fact I doubt if there was a tea bag in the house, when I was diagnosed with heart problems during my last stay in hospital they told me to cut out the coffee, which I have done, I just have three brews a day a cuppa tea with my meals, but I have to drink a lot of fluids because of water retention so I drink some fresh orange and plenty of water. My only problem is I'm on water tablets too so I cant really judge whether its affected my overall urinary problems, but I ain't been taken short yet, although I haven't far to go to the loo these days
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote