View Single Post
Old 28-06-2013, 17:10   #50
PZULBA

Re: moorfield pit disaster

My Great Grandfather on my Dad's mothers side was John Walton who survived the Moorfield Disaster and is mentioned in Tootle's book - he died in in Whittingham Asylum in 1902

He had two children Elizabeth and Nancy, Elizabeth my Grandmother was born on 20 November 1883 not quite 2 weeks after the Disaster and Nancy born September 1884

Elizabeth aged 16 married my Grandfather Thomas Charles Crossley in Dec 1899 at St Johns Gannow Burnley - TC as he was known was from a family of carters and coal merchants that had a shed by the Leeds & Lverpool Canal on Gannow Lane, Burnley

My father Kenneth was their youngest child born in May 1921 who left the area after War Service in the RAF - I am the only Grandchild born October 1947 in YORKSHIRE,

The disaster was always a distant part of our family history primarily due to the effects it had on my grandmother and her sister who were often on relief and brought up by their grandmother Nancy Stringer (nee Dearden)

Have done some research on my family tree especially the Crossley's and have often wondered if we are directly related to the Disasters youngest victim, however to date haven't found a link

Any help would be appreciated

Colin M Crossley
PZULBA is offline   Reply With Quote