View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 14:00   #10
maccawozzagod
God Member

Re: A song for Stanley

cheers Pete, got it.

Here goes,

At first I wasn't overly keen, it sounded a bit like 10 other songs where it was simple words to a simple tune and didn't feel like a football song. That's not really a criticism of it as a piece, just an observation that football songs HAVE to fit into a certain type of music and that's not easy to do. But then it got going and the kids chorus joined in more, I loved it then! As easy as it sounds to just put in some existing types of football chants it still has to work, and it did for me. I possibly think the Stanley clap clap, Stanley clap clap went on a little too long as it sounded great moving form that to the singer bringing Accrington back in, so I'd possibly prefer that to happen 2 or 3 times. But all in all I think it's a great effort. As I was listening I couldn't help wondering how many of those kids would have some kind of Accringtonesque pride instilled into them whilst belting out the words, not just Stanleyfied, but Accyfied.

A few years ago I wanted to do something very similar but bringing in every Year 6 child in the borough and making it into a competition. Every school would try to write a song and the winning entry would sing it live on the pitch at the final game of the season. Every entrant would get a Stanley shirt or season ticket on the back of it and all entrants would come along to that final game not knowing who had won. It never ended up happening for a variety of reasons Peter, but maybe on the back of this it is something that the Community team could look into?

Fantastic effort and I think the club should put it onto their news page with a download button to save you emailing it to everyone. AND they should look to having it performed at the Portsmouth game on the pitch as pre-match or half time entertainment.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote