View Single Post
Old 25-07-2013, 13:55   #1
mobertol
God Member

Talking What's in a name?

I had a bit of a suprise today while watching a piece about the naming of "Baby Cambridge". Now known as Prince George Alexander Louis.

I didn't realise that when he accedes to the throne Prince Charles can choose any of his names to be known by. He is Charles Philip Arthur George.

It is widely speculated that he will choose to be known as King George VII

I must admit I never thought Charles III sounded right. Charles I came to a sticky end and his son "The merry monarch" had twelve illegitimate children but left no heir, so not a very auspicious name really.

As to "Wills" he can choose from William Arthur Philip Louis. I think we can rule out Philip (too Spanish), Louis (too French), so it's either William IV which I don't fancy (the House of Orange and it's connection to The Netherlands). Nah, if I was him I'd go for Arthur - has a sort of legendary feel to it and he'd be the first.

So now for young Prince George who only has three names to go at...for me it has to be Alexander if he wants to strive for greatness.

Does the Queen have a horse named Bucephalus?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web