View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013, 18:44   #2
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflannigan View Post
Hi!

I'm doing some family history research in the area going back to the late 1800's early 1900's. I'm actually from Canada so I don't know the area at all and was hoping someone could help. I have a couple questions!! The first question is regarding the Cricketers Arms. My 3x great grandparents (Susannah and Robert Ingham) seem to be living at 29 Pitt St (Cricketers Arms) from the 1880's to early 1900's as beersellers. Now I don't know whether the owned the pub or rented/leased. Would she likely be a landlady? (...the only knowledge I have of pub's comes from watching Coronation Street!!! lol!). Also is this pub still there or can anyone remember it being there? My other question has to do with the cotton industry in the area. Other members of the family were employed as cotton weavers and lived on Pitt St. as well at the time. It seems to me that there were probably many cotton factories around at the time. From research I've done on the industry itself I believe that it was common for factories to provide housing to their employees near the factories. Would anyone know whether the Pitt St area was part of houses owned by a local factory. If so what cotton factory would have owned housing in the area or what were the local cotton factories in the area at the turn of the century? I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not but it's worth a shot! Thanks!
Pitt St has long gone since they built Eastgate a so called bypass to the town. Pitt St was originally called John St, as for the Cricketers Arms, in my files it was at 4 Pitt St back in the mid 1800's, some times they weren't proper pubs as such, just a couple of houses joined together, in some ale houses it was just the front room of a house, with barrels on a trestle.
There were so many cotton mills around Acc that it would be difficult to say which one they worked at.
Can't find them living in Pitts St in the 1914 Burgess Rolls.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote