View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013, 20:23   #6
kflannigan
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Pitt St has long gone since they built Eastgate a so called bypass to the town. Pitt St was originally called John St, as for the Cricketers Arms, in my files it was at 4 Pitt St back in the mid 1800's, some times they weren't proper pubs as such, just a couple of houses joined together, in some ale houses it was just the front room of a house, with barrels on a trestle.
There were so many cotton mills around Acc that it would be difficult to say which one they worked at.
Can't find them living in Pitts St in the 1914 Burgess Rolls.
Thank you for the information! I don't know what it's like in England but here street names and house numbers tend to change over time so I wonder if it was the same pub as 4 Pitt St. I have it listed at 29 Pitt St in the 1881/1891 census but the family was living at 5 Pitt St in 1861. (1871 they were at Stanley St) and he (Robert) seemed to be a laborer ...sounded like some kind of metal or blacksmith work... then all the sudden he's a beerseller. Maybe he took over the business and moved it down the road or something. Do you know when the street name changed from John St?
kflannigan is offline   Reply With Quote