View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013, 22:56   #12
kflannigan
Junior Member+

Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I took a look on the Find My Past website for the address you mentioned. In 1891 there is a Susannah Ingham, head of household, widow, Beerseller at the Cricketer's Arms. She has a servant and her 10 year old granddaughter living with her. In 1901, it's still listed as the Cricketer's Arms. In 1911 however, a new family lives there, and while the head of the household's occupation is 'Beerseller' there's no mention of it being the Cricketer's Arms. It is an 8 room 'house', so maybe they just didn't mention it on the Census form.

I googled old pubs of Accrington, and found the Lost Pubs Project website. It names a Cricketer's Arms on Melbourne St., closing in 1966. I don't know if this is the same pub, moved to a different address, or a totally different business.

About the cotton mill supplying housing for the workers: I've never heard of it, but maybe some other members on Accy Web can help with that.

Good luck with your search for info! I'm in Canada too, by the way, and rely totally on the Internet for my genealogy research.
Thank you very much for the information! I was able to find the site you mentioned. I'm trying to remember exactly... but I don't know whether it was the cotton mills or coal mines or maybe both but I believe the company owned or had something to do with the local housing sometimes... More or less landlords... I think I read that somewhere years ago and I also remember it being mentioned on Who Do You Think You Are (UK) as well (I'm hooked on that show! It helps with understanding the society and culture of the time especially since I've never even been to England). But.... I don't know how common the housing was for sure.
kflannigan is offline   Reply With Quote