View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 18:00   #14
Eric
God Member

Re: Tragic Human Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Its everywhere over down there Dave, Togo, Benin, Cotanou, Lome, Cote d'ivoire to name but five, its a real mess.
I used to work with a few ex colonial French Captains and one Rhodesian (he hated Mugabe), I cannot repeat their views, I would be locked up, but one thing rang true, these nations are very tribal.
Aid alone is not the answer, these nations need stability not dictators.
But the question posed by this thread is not one of dyfunctional, failed, and outright criminal African governments. Some reading about the political structures of pre-colonial Africa and on the process and functions of colonial governments provide clues as to why the continent is the way it is. The problem is a humanitarian one. The majority of those who chance taking a boat ride across the Med have spent lives living up to their necks in liquid shiite. The alternatives: they could stay where they are mumbling "don't make waves" or they can take their chances on a dangerous voyage.

I read in one source ... I think it was CBC ... that there were between 450 and 500 souls on that small boat, paying god-knows-what for the privilege. Is that desperation or what? Someone has gotta help these folks. It's kind of a "beds are burning" sort of thing. Slamming the door is not an option. Europe shouldn't behave like my country did in the 40s:

CBC Digital Archives - Life after Auschwitz - Auschwitz: Jews not welcome in wartime Canada

Thanksgiving is comeing up next week. We have so much to be thankful for. I'm sure that this Country can give more without hurting our economy. We give a lot in foreign aid ... and, ok, I know that lots of it is siphoned off into the pockets of some rich bitch Gambian who wants to go shopping in Paris ... but we can do better. Don't some jerks ... usually tories ... say: "You can't solve a problem by throwing money at it." BS. We probably don't have enough money, or compassion, or hospitality to prevent more disasters; but we can have an impact.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote