View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30   #20
Turtle

Re: Corned Beef Hash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, No No Jay...this the way you do it.
one large potato for each person you are serving....cubed.
1 large or two medium sized onions finely chopped.
Place these ingredients into a large pan of slightly salted water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes begin to 'fall' slightly(this means that they look a bit frayed around the edges)........drain a little of the water off the potatoes.......then chuck into the mix 4oz(or 100grms) of corned beef for each person being served...give it a good stir untill all the corned beef is mixed with the spuds and onions........you could eat it at this point, but I would strongly suggest that you add about a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and leave to cook for a further five or ten minutes.......taste, and add any seasoning to personal taste.

If you want to turn this into spud pie.....put it into an ovenproof dish and put a shortcrust pasty lid on it(bought pastry is Ok for this - but I like to make my own) Bake on gas mark 7 for 25 minutes or untill the pastry is golden brown.
Serve with mushy peas, pickled beetroot or red cabbage.

That's how I do it, and I have never had anyone complain...or for that matter leave a scorrick.
Yummmmmm! Reminds me of my Mum's Meat & Potatoe Pie.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote