View Single Post
Old 24-10-2013, 10:15   #4
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: A 1911 football photo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
I was uncertain which forum would be best for this question but as searches of this site and the web in general indicate that Accrington's current football activities have no connection back to 1911 here seemed best.

I have two photos in an album of Accrington photos which are obviously related both to each other and to Accrington. There is strong commonality of people between the photos and some commonality of people occurs with other Accrington photos in the album. Unfortunately I'm about as good at reading 100 year old handwriting as I am at devising legal get rich quick schemes so the annotation on the rear of the second photo might reveal all, if only I could read it!

So if anybody can come up with a hint as to what these photos relate to I would be very grateful. The only two hints I have is that at least one of the people (a none player) worked for the Corporation Transport Dept. and the date 1911. Both are printed on generic postcard stock so no help there.

I should add that these two photos seem completely out of place in the album so they were obviously important to the lady who's album it was, hence my curiosity.
Looks like ...man's Leicester to me. Is that Accrington railway station in the background to picture 2? And what have they got in their buttonholes?