View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 11:59   #31
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It was murder and I am surprised you justified it to yourself like that. He was no threat to the soldiers, he had been disarmed and was a prisoner.
Next you will be saying is was right what the Japs did to our soldiers in WW2 or what the Russians and Germans did to each other soldiers.
Do you know for sure he was not going to be a threat to the soldiers?
No, I will not say that what the germans or the japanese did to our soldiers was right...or for that matter any uniformed soldier in any other conflict.
But these are terrorist fighters..not in uniform, so they are not easy to determine whether they are part of taliban forces or whether they are civilians.
Did you know that once the poppy harvest is over village males go to fight for the taliban and get get the equivalent of ten dollars a day for doing so?
So a man who one day was a civilian, suddenly becomes a soldier, until he is perhaps captured and then he becomes a civilain again for his defence.
This conflict is not like WW1 or WW2...the lines of who the enemy is are blurred.
If this man is given a life sentence then shouldn't someone put Tony Blair into the dock too....for his war crimes?

I don't think I justified murder....I said that this man was as much a casualty of the conflict as those who are maimed, injured and killed.
I made an observation that he was killing them before they killed him...and I do not see that as a justification .....it is what happens in conflict.
I suppose it is alright that the taliban hung the body parts of British lads from trees...and before you tell me that two wrongs don't make a right...I know that , but if they want to use such tactics then they should be prepared to have them used agains them. The Geneva convention means nothing to them.
Isn't there a saying...All's fair in Love and War?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web