View Single Post
Old 18-11-2013, 09:45   #12
Studio25

Re: NHS criminal neglect proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
...The CEO's wont have ever walked a ward in their lives, they dont have a clue...
I have a multi-stage plan to sort out the NHS, but the two main points are:
  • 50% cuts in administrative and non-essential roles. If a job does not directly affect a patient's welfare, then it's a candidate for removal. This means you'd lose the person who was recently employed specifically to trawl the news for stories which presented the local trust in a good light, for example. The savings would be filtered back into ensuring each ward was staffed at an appropriate level.
  • Almost-complete ban on the use of agency staff. If a ward cannot be staffed at an appropriate level by its own team, then there is a problem. I have it on good authority that most agency staff generate more work than they save, and they cost an absolute fortune. The CEO needs to sign an approval for each individual agency request. That would quickly show where the problems lie.
Throughout my career I've watched people avoid being accountable, in the private sector as well as public. In most ailing organisations, there is a fear of action in case it's wrong, so money is thrown at "cosmetics" - trying to make the organisation look better, rather than trying to make it better.

Edit: Staffing is a particular problem because nobody knows from one day to the next how ill people will be. They don't want a ward with seven staff doing the work of three people because it's quiet. So instead they "bare bone" it and maintain three staff and try to build up the team when it's busy. With my system, there would be plenty of nonessential administrative work that can be completed on these "quiet" days.

Last edited by Studio25; 18-11-2013 at 09:49. Reason: Added a bit
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote