View Single Post
Old 18-11-2013, 10:33   #14
flashy
God Member

Re: NHS criminal neglect proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I have a multi-stage plan to sort out the NHS, but the two main points are:
  • 50% cuts in administrative and non-essential roles.
  • Almost-complete ban on the use of agency staff. If a ward cannot be staffed at an appropriate level by its own team, then there is a problem. I have it on good authority that most agency staff generate more work than they save, and they cost an absolute fortune. The CEO needs to sign an approval for each individual agency request. That would quickly show where the problems lie.

Edit: Staffing is a particular problem because nobody knows from one day to the next how ill people will be. They don't want a ward with seven staff doing the work of three people because it's quiet. So instead they "bare bone" it and maintain three staff and try to build up the team when it's busy. With my system, there would be plenty of nonessential administrative work that can be completed on these "quiet" days.
1, there is NO such thing as a ''quiet'' ward,
2, admin work is 80% of every nurses, auxilliarys, ward clerks, domestics, doctors, physio's, occupational therapists, consultants, security guards, porters job, so there is no way of cutting back on it, however much you would like to

everytime i so much as touch a patient i have to write it down, we have charts for turning people, charts for what implements we use to turn them, lift them or move them, we have to write down if the bed is static or not, if they have sat in the chair at all, how much and what they have eaten in a day, fluid intake and output, diet requirements, moving and handling requirements, bowel movements, mobility, if they have any blanching to pressure points, then there's the obs....usually hourly ones that need to be wrote down, when a patient leaves we clean the patients area from top to bottom, we have to fill in an A4 bed check list to make sure everything is suitable for the next patient...then there is the cleaning of equipment we use...we have to write down when we have used and cleaned the hoists, commodes etc

and thats just the admin that us auxilliaries do....nurses have 2/3 times more admin duties to do aswell as looking after every single patient on the ward, so next time you reckon you can 'fix' the NHS, studio, please think again....oh and next time you or a family member has to go to hospital, just take a second to think about how much crap the staff already have to put up with...before you think there is a quick fix to things

Last edited by flashy; 18-11-2013 at 10:35.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote