View Single Post
Old 23-11-2013, 11:56   #5578
Turtle

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
The occupant of Rothwell house, don't want to name the farmer, but he guarded his land by getting the footpath that went passed the front of the house closed, the bridge fell down. He then fenced off his land and guarded it with enthusiasm. I have spoken to people who had dogs shot for going on his land to walk. I had some contact with him myself through work, and his access to the property, it was very difficult at the time to get the police to attend.

The waterfall had more water going over it than usual due to overnight rain, but was easier to view as the leaves and weeds had died back.
Thank you Dave Mac. The last time I was there was 1985 (the last time I was in England, in fact). The footpath was fenced off then, but the bridge was still there if I recall correctly.
Incidentally When I lived there I used to fish around in the 'river' for shards of pottery. The house was full of antiques when we first moved in. There was a plate rail all around the living room full of stuff, and two clocks: a grandmother which worked fine, and a huge old grandfather clock. It lay on it's back in the empty front room - dusty and spooky looking.
That house had flagstones in the kitchen. It was full of millipedes, wood lice and of course spiders who feasted on all these.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote