View Single Post
Old 28-11-2013, 22:49   #5705
Turtle

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Thats Pendle Hill, I love walking around it, the leaves are starting to carpet the floor, so not much time left for them to be on the trees.

Reading the headstones is like reading a book about a families life, the death of the parents and the children that died at an early age, and even some that died in foreign lands and never made it back home. There are even a couple of servants that served the Trapps-Lomax family, they lived in Clayton Hall. I have spent a fair bit of time just reading them, and it becomes apparent that those that could afford it had large families to compensate for the tragedies that befell them. Of course those that survived went on to have their own families and so would be on there own headstone.
I agree with you that graveyards are very interesting places to visit. Looking into my family tree I've found that poorer families often had a lot of children too, but we don't see them in graveyards so often as they couldn't afford monuments for their graves. I find myself wondering if people back then became somewhat desensitized to losing a child. I can't imagine they would, but then how did they cope with all that sadness? It's easy to imagine that folk back in the 1800s were quite different to us, and they were in many ways (their view of marriage being more of a business arrangement for example). But when I see their photographs, their faces could be the faces of people today. That's the power of photography!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote