View Single Post
Old 21-12-2013, 13:47   #70
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Where do you get your ideas, Guiness? Seriously?

An out of town shopping centre along the canal at Rishton? Where and when have I said that? There is a world of difference between holistic thinking on new developments along the canal and a shopping centre.

And it still amazes me how much people talk down Accrington and then wonder why big businesses won't come here in droves. I love Accy, I shop there every week and I can get pretty much any service I need, it has never let me down. Over the past 12 months I have had repairs to my Hoover, my amplifier and my phone, found some wonderfully cheap and high quality foodstuffs on the markets and countless other things that I have been able to find easily when I have needed them. The only negative point would be a lack of clothes shops but Clare Pritchard works her socks off for that town centre and it is improving all the time.

As a member of the local authority, my feeling is that local businesses must come first before the profits of development companies. If the retail park at Whitebirk went ahead it would have a serious impact on what is already in place around the whole borough so on the one hand people would be delighted at somewhere new to shop and then up in arms because the council aren't supporting local businesses.

You simply can't have it both ways.
It's like being in the twilight zone...Elected representatives banging on about a rosy future and bustling town centres with quaint shops that repair hoovers and phones.

Unfortunately we live in a throwaway society, its often cheaper to get a new phone/hoover than repair it, besides which it takes less time and stress to nip over to currys than negotiate access to the town centre lumping a ruddy great vacuum cleaner through the streets.

As for the market...situated in a wind tunnel, surrounded by pools of water when it rains.....give me a nice dry Tesco anytime.

Of the countless other things you have been able to find when you needed them....Can I ask where in Accrington town centre you bought the last piece of music you listened to, the last book you read, the last toy you gave to your child/grandchild, the computer you are using, the watch on your wrist, the wallet in your pocket, the shoes on your feet or even the last tin of baked beans you ate?

You really believe its people talking down Accrington and not the disastrous planning by successive councils for the last 30 years that keeps big shops away?