View Single Post
Old 26-12-2013, 12:50   #3619
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
All those people may have been needed but the response has certainly given people an excuse to say they need all the people they have
And therein lies the problem, all these people require paying, regardless of participation, on duty, laid off sick etc, etc. Added to this there's all the support staff who sit in an office but don't provide physical hands on action, eating up resources that could be better employed.

The Germans have a regular fire service but for a Country about three times the size of UK their "Paid" manpower isn't anywhere near comparable to UK. The practicality behind this is due to the Germans maintaining, training & investing in an exceptionally good volunteer force of fire fighters functioning on the same principal as the UKs RNLI. "Freiwilligen Feuerwher" can be found in virtually ever town & village & are supported, sponsored & integrated into the major framework of the German fire service with regular training & advancement of their volunteers.