View Single Post
Old 28-12-2013, 16:05   #94
Gordon Booth
Senior Member+

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I don't know how I could have changed things in opposition? I accept responsibility but there has to be a degree of realism.

Whilst Accrington's fall from where it was is sad, Accrington is not alone and it some ways was inevitable. My view is to remain positive and every effort is being made. If there's something missing flag it up.

Great Harwood Farmers Market has been a resounding success - where the cabins are used primarily. The number of pitches has risen from three to the maximum that space will allow, 32 without road closures. Traders report their best profits.
Graham, it's good that you are responding although your Councillors are noticeable by their absence.
But you're doing it again! ' I don't know how I could have changed things in opposition'.

Since 1980 you've been in power twice as long as the Tories with one good run of 13 years.
I ask again, how long does your party need?

I don't live there so my suggestions are of little value but Guinness came up with 4 good ones straight away.

How on earth did a satellite village get to establish a resoundingly successful Farmers Market when the main town has nothing like it. I'll bet if you count every stall of every kind in that beautiful Market Hall there aren't 32 occupied! Imagine how well a Farmers Market in an attractive, covered, warm Market Hall could have done! Every credit to Great Harwood and its Councillors but someone in Accrington missed an opportunity there.
Imagine if you offered stall holders a peppercorn rent for say 2 years if they set up on condition if they succeeded they paid a fair rent after that. Empty stalls and empty spaces earn nothing and put people off visiting the few occupied stalls. Hyndburn owns it- they could do it. And an MP and a group of Councillors could put a little pressure on( cross that out, put suggest) the owners of the Arndale Center to think about the same- charity shops and empty shops earn nothing.
Who wants a nice new bus station placed so that when you get off you need another bus to get into the town center? Or a taxi or paramedic! Or a good walk.Older folks don't want that and they'll be the bigger users.

Bury Market has 370 stalls and people travel, even by coach, for miles to visit it. 250,000 visitors a week and it's only open 3 days! And it's only 8 miles from Manchester with an excellent Metro link. It's population is about 20,000 less than Hyndburn but it pulls people in from all over to succeed(being fair, Bury Metropolitan is twice as big).

Those ugly blue monstrosities behind the Town Hall- don't tell me, the Tories were responsible?
The destruction of the Broadway gardens and open spaces? I won't ask.

Yes, the mill towns of the North West have had a hard time but they haven't all gone under.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 28-12-2013 at 16:15.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote