View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 00:15   #135
g jones
Senior Member+

Whitebirk Retail Park

I'll always do my best for the area and will continue to do so with incredible passion. There's nothing party political about wanting progress.

There is incredibly strong leadership at the Council, and a clear sense of direction by the Labour majority.

There have been and still are wildly differing views on the town centre. The latest CATCH, Tony Dobsons 13 point plan, Labours long term view since taking over and many others. There clearly isn't a consensus and I have never known a period where everyone has agreed.

What I want to see is one clear plan and sticking to it. In the past we have had several plans back to back, or no clear plan, populism, indulgence, changing plans, or plans that won't be relevant tomorrow and a division of opinion that has quite frankly stalled progress. The bus station being the perfect example.

A majority Labour Council/Party has a long term vision. Consolidation of shops, ie less. More leisure retail. Period features returned. More town centre living. Better transport links. Greater focus on the market.

Good ideas are welcome but as Ken says they often don't pass the acid test or aren't really game changers and when kicked around in public meetings end up being partially of wholly rejected in a democratic and intelligent way. Nothing to do with Party politics. Town Centre meetings are open public meetings and your welcome to put your ideas forward to others.

If my view had prevailed BTW the pavilions would not have been built and the bus station would have been built on the old Peel Steet footprint. However the majority back then, wanted Crawshaw Street and turned up at meetings to make a strong case. I was the minority then. One of the difficulties of the job is public opinion csn change over time. A classic example of that is the old clock in the Arndale, derided at first but cherished years later.

Last edited by g jones; 04-01-2014 at 00:21.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote